Bee Superfoods – The Egyptians wrote about it back in 5500 B.C., the Indians used it for their religious ceremonies in 1000 B.C. and even the Babylonians have been noted to use it in their medicinal practices. The western world actually discovered the benefits of bee superfoods by accident during an investigation of native Russian Beekeepers who regularly lived past 100 years of age who ate raw honey, rich in bee pollen, every day.
Category Archives: Digestion
Not to be confused with other ginsengs such as American ginseng or Korean Ginseng – this is quite a different plant – indeed it is not really a ‘true’ ginseng but something even more special and extremely safe and can be taken all the time (unlike other ginsengs). Siberian Ginseng is an adaptogen (see later) – while other ginsengs are not. A ‘tonic’ herb – it is a tall shrub that grows to 5-7ft, with leaves that look like horse chestnut. The flowers appear in July – the colour of these varying from cream, pale yellow, lilac or violet. It needs plenty of water all year round to flourish. It has been used in China and Asia for 2,000 years or more and was commonly used in ancient healing rituals for energy, fertility and all round healing. In 1959 the Ministry of Health in the former USSR (Russia now) authorised clinical tests, which sparked scientific interest. The Soviet government then officially approved the herb’s use as a tonic and in Russia still today is used by athletes, astronauts, climbers, miners, mountain rescuers and soldiers – to give then strength, endurance, energy, recovery from exhaustion and to calm the adrenals/nervous system after stress/intensive physical labour. 4,00 plants were screened by the government and they picked Siberian Ginseng to be the best as an all round super tonic.
Where can you find it? It grows abundantly in the wild in Siberia, Mongolia, Korea, China and Japan. A tough plant, it adapts to its surroundings; prefers sunlight but can tolerate extremely cold winters and sub-zero temperatures. You can grow it in Scotland and the USA however more successful plants for medicinal use have come from the countries listed previously.
What is an Adaptogen?
Adaptogenic herbs help the body ‘adapt’ and heal all systems/organs for men, women and children. Energy, recovery, rebalancing, rejuvenation for the kidneys, liver, heart, spleen, lungs, bowels, brain, immune system, adrenal system, endocrine system (hormones/thyroid), lymphatic system, nervous system, digestive system. Its is uplifting while calming – giving it a unique and sophisticated chemical action – meaning if you take it you are not made to feel sleepy or drowsy or indeed hyper and over-awake. It creates a great equilibrium in the body.
• Extreme fatigue, chronic fatigue, tiredness from physical exertion – though work or exercise.
• Recovery from long term illness and infections – particularly where someone has had to have bed rest because they found moving around very tiring. Can be used for post-cancer treatment recovery – e.g chemotherapy.
• Acute conditions that have worsened and become chronic – e.g common cough that has turned into a chest infection.
• Sexual health, low libido and fertility – for both sexes. Increases semen output.
• Poor neurological function – helps to normalise brain function.
• Excellent for stress, low moods, anxiety – balancing the nervous system. Good for dyslexia, autism and memory.
• Improves cerebral corticoid (steroid hormone) function and speed of brain.
• Increases oxygen consumption and improves respiratory effectiveness.
• Enhances liver protection and lessens liver cell regeneration.
• Lots of research on neo-natal brain development. Very safe in pregnancy and breast feeding. Helps to alleviate fatigue in pregnancy and recovery from giving birth or dealing with reduced sleep with a new baby.
• Good for managing low or high thyroid function – safe with thyroxin under practitioner supervision.
• Good for recovery from injury/enhances healing time. Has anti-inflammatory properties.
• Good for all ages from foetus to the very elderly.
• Can be taken long term, with no less effect. Accompanies herbs like Echinacea and Hawthorn well.
• Helps the body to resist infection.
• Improves hearing and sight.
• Very good also for someone who ‘over functions’ – always running around, fasting talking, unlikely to want to rest/calm down. This herb helps to settle a character like that.
Those who lack emotional energy. In naturopathic terms excellent for those that have weak kidney and spleen energy/meridians. Totally revitalising for the mind. Improving happiness and zest for life. Good for calming an anxious person and bolstering an unconfident/fearful character.
Tincture, capsules, herbal powder, tea or decoction made from the root.
None. Safe in pregnancy, breastfeeding and infants onwards.
Ligustrum, Astragalus, Rhodiola, Withania (in India called Ashwaganda), Schisandra. You could use these all in combination with Siberian Ginseng. Although Siberian Ginseng remains the King!
We offer a wide selection of Siberian Ginseng (liquid, tablets and capsules) at www.totalhealthnowshop.co.uk
The latest news reports are illustrating the high level of Vitamin D deficiency in the UK today. We acquire 90% of our Vitamin D from sunshine, yet 77% cent of adults spend most of their day indoors, seldom seeing the sunshine.
Vitamin D is best known for its roles in preventing rickets and maintaining proper levels of calcium in the blood. It is an important factor in the maintenance of good health, that also helps in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth, and the absorption and use of calcium and phosphorus. Studies also suggest that Vitamin D may play a part in slowing the ageing process and the onset of age-related diseases.
Vitamin D3 is an ideal supplement for the months when many of us don’t see the sun on a daily basis, so why not share the benefits of Vitamin D with your friends and colleagues.
Get your daily dose of sunshine throughout the winter months!!!!
To check our vitamin D3 range please go to www.totalhealthnowshop.co.uk
Silicium is often referred to as the forgotten trace element and is essential to human health as it forms one of the essential constituents that the body needs to maintain a healthy lifestyle and repair damage caused by external influences and the ageing process. The modern human race is deficient in Silicium due to our processed and refined diet allied with the fact that, as we age, we progressively lose silicum from our bodies making us more prone to arthritis and joint problems as well increased wrinkles and skin problems.
What is Bio-Activated Organic Silicium?
Silicon is a natural element needed by the human body for many processes. When it is bio-activated, as it is with VitaSil/Dexsil products, it is able to penetrate the skin to form collagen, the skin’s natural scaffolding, and also elastin, which keeps the skin supple. No other product can create collagen in this way. As humans age, the amount of silicon they have decreases.
What does Bio-Activated Organic Silicium do?
– It reduces and prevents lines and wrinkles.
By being able to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin, VitaSil/Dexsil helps produce collagen and elastin naturally. Collagen plumps cells with hydration so the skin becomes fresh and hydrated. In younger skin, it can prevent wrinkles from forming. In mature skin, winkles will decrease and the skin will become firmer and younger looking.
Bio-activated organic silicium comes in both a liquid, taken each morning, and a range of gels aimed at different ailments.
– It Reduces Inflammation
Bio-activated organic silicium also combats and reduces pain and inflammation, whether from rheumatoid or osteo-arthritis, injury or any other source of inflammation.
What conditions can it help?
- Dehydrated skin, loose sagging skin, wrinkles and lines anywhere on face and body
Silicium Gel is the only product that allows the body to naturally generate collagen.
This means that the skin all over the body and face will become firm and hydrated. Cells will plump up with collagen, wrinkles are reduced and new ones are prevented.
– Drink Organic Silicium Liquid each morning.
- Muscular pain, cramp, stiff muscles.
Powersil/Sport Gel acts effectively and quickly on any form of muscular
Cramp or pain. This can be after sporting activity, a pulled muscle from lifting,
working on computer, carrying heavy bags.
Muscles relax and circulation is increased. Pain is diminished.
– Drink Organic Silicium Liquid each mornin each morning.
– Apply PowerSil/Sport gel twice a day on the affected and surrounding areas on damp skin.
- Acne and spots anywhere on the face and body.
Clear gel applied on oily/ acne skin spots. Dries spots, prevents future ones
from forming. Based on the Silicium molecule it allows the body to naturally generate
collagen. The gel will help to prevent acne scars on skin.
– Drink Organic Silicium Liquid each mornin each morning.
– Apply Boutons/Spots gel 3 times a day on the affected and surrounding area on damp skin.
This food concentrate is in the old European tradition of ‘bitters’, and gives a pleasant ‘kick’. This formula can by used by anyone (even with medication) with no contraindications – as it is a ‘food’ blend.
Excellent for soothing and improving digestion; it will also assist in cleansing the liver. It can also be drunk as a daily health tonic by all the family!
You will need:
500ml Apple cider vinegar (preferably organic)
The juice of 3 lemons
1 clove of garlic
A handful of basil leaf or 1 tablespoon of dried herb (fresh best)
A handful of peppermint leaf (do not use dried)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon of fennel seed
Blend together until thinned/soup like. Store in a glass container or large jar at least a week before using. This should keep for months because it will be naturally preserved.
Dose: 5ml x 3 daily – or if experiencing very poor digestion – 5ml x 6 daily for a few intensive days.
Dose from 1 year old – ½ a tsp x 3 daily (from 5 years old – 5ml x 3 daily).
Dandelion is a common ‘weed’ used all over Europe as folk medicine for thousands of years, using its thick squat root and young spring leaves. The English name itself comes from the French description of its indented leaves described as dent (teeth) de Leon (of the Lion). Presumably its flowers which are yellow and its petals are like a Lions Mane!
A lot of people around the world rely on Dandelion and great quantities are grown commercially with the leaves harvested each spring and the roots every second year.
Where can you find it?
It will flourish in most soils and is prolific in many regions, coping with great wet and cold more than heat. It flourishes all over Europe and texts relating to it were also found in Arab medicine books in the 11th century. It bright yellow showy flowers comprising more than a hundred small petals on a round orb the size of a Clementine. One often sees thousands in flower in one area at a time but equally they can grow as a loner amongst other wild plants. The seed heads are often ‘blown’ by children to tell the time and so it is a charming traditional British herb.
The leaves are high in Potassium and it is a very strong and an extremely safe diuretic. It can safely reduce High Blood pressure by removing fluid volume in the body. As it is the safest diuretic in the botanical kingdom, it makes a reliable choice. The root has significantly useful and powerful cleansing action on the liver and makes a good detoxification herb. It will stimulate bile production. It is also mildly laxative and bitter. Altogether it is a blood cleanser.
The leaves contain high quantities of coumarines which help thin the blood which is why it was often used traditionally in spring (using the new spring leaves) to thin the blood after winter. Thinning the blood allows deposits and toxins to be freed up, moved on and eliminated. Dandelion leaves were often traditionally used with Burdock, hence the famous Dandelion & Burdock beverages made by country folk.
Its roots have noted anti-inflammatory properties and its polyphenols give good antioxidant presence (carotenoids etc). The roots also contain notable amounts of polysaccharides, which have shown anti-tumour activity in animals.
Both the root and leaf contain high quantities of Potassium but also other vitamins and minerals to include Calcium and vitamins A, B C & D.
To Summarise Uses:
- It removes waste products from the body, via the kidneys (leaf) and via the liver and gallbladder (root). It reliably removes a wide range of toxins.
- It is also an excellent skin clearer – assisting with acne, eczema, psoriasis and boils.
- Useful in gout to help detoxify.
- Rheumatism and Arthritis where detoxification is required. Also gout.
- Should gallstones exist, using Dandelion can help prevent more being produced and many herbalists use the leaf to gently help dissolve existing stones. Warning – do not attempt this without practitioner supervision as gall and kidney stone removal can be very dangerous.
- Can be used alongside adaptogenic herbs like Siberian ginseng, astragalus, ligustrum and rhodiola for additional adrenal/kidney support.
- Good for treating cystitis/alkalising the geno-urinary area.
It can make a useful hangover drink:
Take 15g of root to 750 mls water. Take the decoction in small quantities frequently throughout the day.
Also try your sample of Dandelion Root Coffee from Herbs Hands Healing with added cool spices. The drink would also help a ‘hangover’ but equally it makes a delicious, nourishing and nurturing drink at any time, day or night for the liver. It is also an excellent alternative to the coffee bean (and caffeine free).
Dandelion is a very useful aid to persistent constipation:
Add equal parts yellow Dock (Rumex crispus) to the Dandelion Root and make a decoction as above. If you like, sweeten with either a very small amount of carob and liquorice.
For fluid retention problems:
e.g swollen ankles, make a cup of Dandelion leaf tea.
Use 2 tsp of crumbled dried leaf (4-6g) in 1 mug boiling water. Drink up to 3 cups daily. It is entirely safe, cannot and will not exhaust the kidneys and enriches the body with organic Potassium. You can also use Organic Dandelion Leaf tincture. Dose of 1:1 strength ½ tsp diluted with 100 ml water and 3 x daily of 1:1 strength, ½ tsp diluted with 100ml water x 3 daily (2 ½ mls).
Good for clearing blocked energy and emotion.
Strengthens the mind where issues of fear and uncertainty arise from weakened kidney function (Dandelion leaf).
Spring leaves fresh or dried
Autumn Roots fresh or dried
Tincture, Teas, Decoctions, country wines. Tonic salads (the leaves) throughout Spring and Summer – add the lettuce and other salad items.
There are none. It is a plant that can really do no harm. Even if put alongside drugs to remove excess water from the body it will simply work with the body and situation and not exacerbate or create imbalance of any kind.
However you would never use B vitamins with prescription diuretics.
MSM is the 4th most plentiful mineral in the body and so essential to life that it is found in every cell of virtually every animal and plant. MSM is basically converted sulphur. MSM as a supplement is usually sourced from pine bark. Never use synthetic MSM. Foods rich in sulphur are eggs, onions, garlic and aloe vera.
MSM is source of sulphur which is an essential mineral in the body. It helps to maintain overall body balance between acidity and alkalinity which is required for balanced health. When you take MSM, your cells become more permeable, enabling your body to quickly wash out any foreign particles in your system. Every twelve hours your body is designed to flush each cell of any unwanted debris. When your diet is deficient, the cell walls become hard and stiff and this hinders fluid flow through the cell walls. How MSM can change this is by softening the cell walls, allowing foreign proteins and free radicals to be washed out of your system. MSM is used by the body to continually create new healthy cells to replace the old ones. Sulfur also plays a part in tissue respiration, the process that oxygen and other substances are used to build cells and release energy.
1. MSM helps our bodies absorb more nutrients (vitamins and minerals). Especially good for helping to absorb Vitamin C.
2. MSM increases oxygen availability to the body.
There are people who have had emphysema, who used an atomizer for breathing and could hardly get out of the chair to walk across the room, who, after about a week of taking MSM, walked a half mile, rested and then walked another half mile. Now that is not because emphysema had been reversed, but because the MSM detoxifies and increases the blood’s circulation of oxygen. MSM helps get oxygen into the blood a lot more efficiently with the same amount of work.
3. MSM helps increase energy.
Energy levels increase with MSM because it helps make the cell walls more permeable. Our cell walls get thicker and more rigid with age; this tends to create a lessening of the amount of nutrients and oxygen that can enter the cell through the cell wall. Also, toxins which get stored in the cell get trapped within the cells because of the lower permeability of the cell wall. When MSM goes into the body the permeability of the cell walls greatly increases, enhancing the absorption of nutrients and oxygen and helping release the toxins which were stuck in cells. When these toxins leave the body, it helps to increase our energy.
4. MSM Supports Blood Sugar. A good example of this at work shows up in diabetics. When their blood carries sugar to their cells, the sugar cannot be absorbed due to the impermeability of the cell wall. Studies show that when MSM goes into the body it causes the cell wall to be more permeable again. The pancreas (which requires sulphur to make insulin) normalizes because it does not work so hard, blood sugar can now be absorbed through the cell walls, helping to balance the blood sugar level. Because sulphur is a component of insulin (the protein hormone secreted by the pancreas that is essential to carbohydrate metabolism), a lack of nutritional sulphur in the diet can result in low insulin production by the pancreas. Studies suggest, in those with diabetes, that the cell wall may be more leathery and thus the absorption of sugar by the cells is greatly reduced.
5. MSM helps the body eliminate toxins including lactic acid build-up from strenuous exercise.
Drinking plenty of water is very important for anyone wishing to have good health. The fact that MSM detoxifies means that you need to keep water moving into the body so that the toxins can be eliminated without stressing other organs of the body, such as the kidneys.
6. MSM helps to dramatically reduces recuperation time from strenuous exercise and long hours of work.
7. MSM helps relieve muscular aches and pains.
8. MSM helps reduce inflammation due to injury or inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
When the water pressure inside a cell is greater than the water pressure on the outside of the cell, there is inflammation and swelling. (The outer and intercellular fluid pressures are not equal.) MSM enhances the permeability of the cell walls, therefore allowing the pressure on both sides of the wall to equalize, thus relieving the inflammation. MSM takes inflammation out of soft tissue and since pain comes from nerves in inflamed soft tissue, there is often relief from the pain of such inflammatory ailments as arthritis, bursitis, rheumatism and hip dysplasia.
9. MSM helps reduce scar tissue and wrinkles and helps keep the skin more elastic because its collagen stimulating. Collagen levels reduce as we get older. Collagen also supports joints and aids injury healing.
10. MSM helps the hair and nails grow stronger and faster. Rich in keratin (required for hair growth).
11. MSM has been shown to improve mental alertness.
12. MSM has been proven to help in the reduction and even the total elimination of allergies.
13. MSM reduces headaches, cramps and muscle pain caused by hormonal imbalances, for example, PMS. Not advised to begin taking it though during your period – you need to have been getting used to it beforehand since you should not detoxify your body during your period.
14. MSM helps relieve constipation by encouraging bile production in the liver. Bile acts as a laxative in the body.
15. MSM has been shown to help reduce and even eliminate snoring.
MSM is available in 2 forms as a powder supplement and as tablets. It is also available from most good health food stores and online. MSM powder is recommended when adding to juices or smoothies, and tablets are recommended for those that don’t like the taste or for people doing weight training who want to take higher quantities of these branch chain amino acids in pure form to help with muscle growth and repair.